HomePage
Hunawihr
Lodgings
Tariffs
Links
Contact

Charming small village, recognized like one of the most beautiful villages of France .....

A Cave Vinicole which allures generations of wine amateurs !

(see at the foot of the page)

 

Origin of the name

 

The name of the village east undoubtedly derived from Hunon and its wife Top, or holy Top, and of Latin villare = firm.

Blazon

They are the armorial bearings of the noble family of Hunawihr whose existence is attested since 1181 and who is extinct at the beginning of XVIe century.

 

History

 

The tradition makes go up the origins of Sainte Huna Hunawihr (or Top), of the family of Etichons and with a miracle operated in its favour by the bishop of holy Nevers Déodat. About 1114, Henri V attaches the village to the abbey of Saint-Dié. At the beginning of XIIIe century the village changes owner and passes to the counts de Horbourg, then with the counts de Wurtemberg into 1324 who is also owner of Riquewihr.

From 1520 the village of Hunawihr has an important pilgrimage dedicated to Sainte Top which attracts many pilgrims until the Reform. Then the inhabitants of Hunawihr become to Protestantism starting from 1534 following in that the counts of Montbeliard-Wurtemberg. At the XVIIe century the village undergoes an epidemic of plague which decimates most of the population. From 1687, seven catholic families settle in the village, which involves the construction of a parish. The church of Hunawihr is used as simultaneum. A fountain which is towards the exit of the village and which bears the name of holy points out another miracle: in one year of food shortage the water of the fountain was transformed into wine which the villagers collected and which replaced their lost harvest. This wine was higher than best than the vineyard had ever produced. Today Hunawihr is a primarily wine commune.

 

Places and monuments

 

Strengthened church Saint-Jacques-the-Major of XIVe century

 

The church, in the east of the village is on a small height, surrounded by a strengthened cemetery which presents more the good example of this kind in Alsace and in the countries bordering. The enclosure is of octagonal form and each angle provided with a semicircular bastion. The only main door was surmounted by a large tower, partly demolished today. The enclosure dates from the XIV and XVe century and carries restorations of XVIe century. The turn of the church, on two floors, is of XIVe century, the heart of the beginning of XVIe century (on a console an escutcheon and the date of 1524), as well as the sacristy (the door indicates the year 1525). Under the sacristy a crypt to which is coupled a square vault. The church was certainly envisaged with three naves. On the left side pillars are. In the tower of the frescos discovered in 1879, represent a cycle of scenes of the legend of holy Hune and saint Déodat, end of XVe century. In the nave, a stone pulpit of the beginning of XVIe century. In the chorus, armoriées keystones. The crypt of Jacques-the-Major the Saint church sheltered until the Reform the relics of Holy Top, béatifiée by the pope Leon X in 1520.L' church is classified historic building since 1929.

 

Stained glass

 

Inside the church of Jacque-the-Major Saint one sees a beautiful stained glass decorated with grapes which testifies to the dominating place of the wine inheritance in Alsatian art. Pulpit

The pink sandstone pulpit installed against the wall of the nave is provided with a staircase which crosses the pillar.

 

Fresco of Saint Nicolas

 

Under the bell-tower of the church was discovered towards 1878 of the frescos representing Saint Nicolas.Elle belong to a collection of quartorze tables. The scenes coloured on the tables represent the principal episodes of the life of the saint. The lower register evoke the miracles operated after its death, in particular the release of three innocent condemned to death. One fifteenth table, located on the right composition, shows the crowning of holy Hune by the Trinity. (Classified Historic building in 1972)

 

Fountain of the XVIIe century

 

Located 2 rue de l' church, this fountain consists of a carved principal trough, two secondary basins and a surmounted column of a sphere. This fountain was used as feeding trough for the cattle and was also used to draw water for the inhabitants of the locality. Two troughs located beside the principal fountain are used to collect the overflow of the basin whose water runs out then in the gutter.

 

Town hall

 

On the frontage of the town hall which goes back to 1517, one can see the armorial bearings of Wurtemberg.

 

House with high pinion with Gothic gate

 

This building carries the date of 1567

 

Curiosities

 

And especially the Viticultural Cellar of Hunawihr which will accomodate you with great pleasure to make you taste their marvellous wines…!

 

 

Cave Vinicole de Hunawihr

48 route de Ribeauvillé

68150 HUNAWIHR

Tél.: +33 (0)3 89 73 61 67

Fax : +33 (0)3 89 73 33 95

info@cave-hunawihr.com

www.cave-hunawihr.com

 

 

Hunawihr